This help page will take you thru the steps to create a Configurable Product.
- Log into Magento > Catalog > Manage Products > Add Product
- On the next screen change the Product Type to "configurable". Click Continue.
- On the next screen, select the appropriate attribute. Often it will be size and/or manufacturer. Click Continue.
- The next screen will be familiar - it is the General Tab and will need to be populated manually.
- You will need to also populate the prices and inventory fields as well as upload an image. For the price any value will work; the front end of the site will display the prices of the simple products that have been associated with this product.
Be sure to hit "Save and Continue Edit" as you move thru the tabs!
For information on associating simple products with this Configurable Product, visit this help page.