In order to connect Counterpoint to your website, Modern Retail must install our Counterpoint Integrator on your computer or server. This integrator sends data back and forth between Counterpoint and Modern Retail's Middleware using our Application Programming Interface (API), which ultimately allows us to send data back and forth with your Bigcommerce, Magento, Shopify or WooCommerce website.
Modern Retail typically installs the Counterpoint Integrator for our clients. However, some customers prefer their internal IT group to install our Counterpoint Integrator instead. These installation and setup instructions are meant to aid those customers who wish to do it themselves.
The following setups are needed to successfully install the Counterpoint Integrator:
- Run the Setup.exe installation program provided by Modern Retail.
- Once the Modern Retail Integrator program has been installed, you must manually run the following program:
The Counterpoint Integrator uses a small Access Database to store information about your integration. Running AccessDatabaseEngine.exe will install the required DLL files needed by the connector to manage the Access Database.
Once installed, you will see an application that looks similar to the following:
There are three main things that must be configured to successfully connect your Counterpoint POS system to your website:
- Modern Retail Authentication
- CP8 Data Source
Again, Modern Retail will configure these elements for you when performing our install. However, here's some additional information about these setup screens in case your internal IT team is interested.
Modern Retail Authentication
Modern Retail will provide 3 key pieces of information to enable your Counterpoint Integrator:
- API User
- API Password
- API Service Key
This information, of course, is unique to your store and implementation and should never be shared or disclosed to anyone. Once the above information has been collected, you may begin to set up the rest of the Counterpoint Integrator.
From the Main Menu, choose Setup and select Modern Retail Authentication.
Enter the information provided by your Modern Retail representative into the appropriate fields and click the 'Save' button. Once the information has been entered and saved, click on the 'Test' button, and you should receive a message that the connector has made a successful connection to the Modern Retail API. Once you have successfully tested the connection with the Modern Retail API, you may close the window.
CP8 Data Source
The following information must be obtained from your Counterpoint System Administrator and entered into our application:
- CP8 Database Source - The network name of the MSSQL server where the Counterpoint Database is located.
- CP8 Database - The name of the Counterpoint8 Database.
- SQL Database Username
- SQL Database Password
- Counterpoint POS Store ID
- Counterpoint Inventory Location
From the Main Menu, select Setup and then CP8 Data Source.
Enter the information provided by your Counterpoint System Administrator into the appropriate fields and click the 'Save' button. Once the Counterpoint information has been entered and saved, click on the 'Test' button, and you should receive a message that the connector has made a successful connection to the Counterpoint database. Once you have successfully tested the connection to the Counterpoint Database, you may close the 'Setup CP8 DataSouce' window.
Finally, the Timers and Throttles need to be configured. From the Main Menu, choose Setup and select Timers/Throttle.
The Setup Timers/Throttle window contains 3 fields with values. You can use the default values or make adjustments as you see necessary.
- Service Timer Minutes - This value controls how often the Connector Background Service will check for Counterpoint Item changes. The default value is 5 minutes. Every 5 minutes, the Background Service will check for Item changes and send them to the Modern Retail API.
- Service FullSync Timer in Hours - This value controls how often the Connector Background Service will execute a full synchronization of all the Counterpoint Items that have been identified as E-Commerce Items. Full synchronization is required to make the Connector aware of new items that have been identified as E-Commerce items. The default value is 4 hours.
- Throttle Millisecond - Is used internally by the Connector and should only be changed by a support specialist. The default value is 100 milliseconds.
If you require changes different from the default values, you may make your changes and save. If the values entered are different from the previous values, the Connector will restart the Background Service so that new values are used.
The following system requirements are needed for the integration to run smoothly:
- .NET Framework 4.5
- Counterpoint 8.4 or greater
- Port 443 must be open for both inbound and outbound traffic.
- Processor 1 GHz
- RAM 512 MB
- Disk space (minimum)
- 32-bit 850 MB
- 64-bit 2 GB
Supported "Client" Operating Systems
- Operating system Supported editions Additional information
- Windows 8.1 32-bit and 64-bit Includes the .NET Framework 4.5.1
- Windows 8 32-bit and 64-bit Includes the .NET Framework 4.5
- Windows 7 SP1 32-bit and 64-bit
- Windows Vista SP2 32-bit and 64-bit
- Windows 8 includes the .NET Framework 4.5, so you don't have to install it separately. Similarly, Windows 8.1 includes the .NET Framework 4.5.1.
- The .NET Framework 4.5 is supported on the Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE). Not all features are supported on Windows PE
- For all platforms, we recommend that you upgrade to the latest Windows Service Pack and critical updates available from the Windows Update website to ensure the best compatibility and security.
- On 64-bit operating systems, the .NET Framework supports both WOW64 (32-bit processing on a 64-bit machine) and native 64-bit processing
Supported Server Operating Systems
- Windows Server 2012 R2 64-bit Includes the .NET Framework 4.5.1
- Windows Server 2012 (64-bit edition) 64-bit Includes the .NET Framework 4.5
- Windows Server 2012 includes the .NET Framework 4.5, so you don't have to install it separately. Similarly, Windows Server 2012 R2 includes the .NET Framework 4.5.1.
- For all platforms, we recommend that you upgrade to the latest Windows Service Pack and critical updates available from the Windows Update website to ensure the best compatibility and security. Installation of the latest Windows Service Pack may be required on some operating systems.
- On 64-bit operating systems, the .NET Framework supports both WOW64 (32-bit processing on a 64-bit machine) and native 64-bit processing.
Please let us know if you have any questions by talking with your project manager or by submitting a support request in the Admin Panel. Thank you.