Help & Resource Center

Product Page Does Not Show


We have a product that is visible on the department page, but when you click on it, it does not show on the product page and returns this error:

"Request to database has failed, please contact server administrator if you see this message."



I took a look at this product, and there were some illegal characters in the product descriptions that were causing this:

This can happen when you copy and paste from other sources. Consider pasting into Notepad to clear the formatting, and then copying and pasting into the description field.

We removed the characters, and the page now displays properly.