Modern Retail uses the User Role Editor plugin for WordPress to help manage users and their roles on a site. Noted below is a break down of the default roles and how to manage or add additional roles.
- Administrator: This role is Reserved for Modern Retail staff and gives them full access to all the features and functionalities of a site.
- Account Owner: This role is reserved for a site's owner and gives them full access except for the ability to switch themes, unfiltered HTML, updating the core, updating plugins, updating themes and WooCommerce webhooks. NOTE: Experienced Account Owners can have these features added to their user role on a case by case basis.
- Store Administrator: Store Administrators have the same privileges as an Account Owner, except they cannot activate or edit plugins or change/manage WooCommerce Settings.
- Shop Managers: These users have further limitations, focusing their user access on Products & Order fulfillment as well as some content editing.
- Customers: For WooCommerce clients, any shopper who creates an account for later use is automatically assigned the role of "Customer". The only thing these users can do is read posts/content.
The User Roles listed below all have the original WordPress abilities.
- Editors: An editor can view, edit, publish and delete any posts/pages, moderate comments, manage categories, tags, links and upload files.
- Author: An author can edit, publish and delete only their posts. This is the perfect role to assign users who will only be blogging on your site.
- Contributor: A contributor can edit their posts but cannot publish them. When a contributor creates a post, it will need to be submitted to an administrator for review. Once a contributor's post is approved and published the contributor can not longer edit their post.
All of these roles have the ability to be edited by the Account Owner on an as needed basis. To Edit a role, follow these steps:
- Log into WordPress > Users > User Role Editor
Select the Role you wish to Edit from the dropdown.
The features the selected user has available will appear as checked off items. Simply check or uncheck the feature you want a user role to have.
Be sure to Update a role after making changes.
Adding a new role is easy! Follow these steps.
Navigate to the User Role Editor in WordPress.
- Click Add Role from the right hand menu.
Complete the fields. NOTE: The Role ID cannot have spaces. Naming should use the underscore if more than one word. For example Account_Owner.
- An easy way to add features is to copy the capabilities of an existing role and then add or remove features from there.
- After defining the capabilities of your new role, be sure to Update to save your work.
You may edit a users role or capabilities from within that user. On the Users list page, mouse over the user and click on Capabilities.
After clicking Capabilities, you'll see the screen where you can change the user role and add permissions. You cannot remove a feature from a user. In order to change a user's permissions you need to change their role. Be sure to hit Update after making any changes.