The default search in Magento allows you to control the results your shopper will see. You can also clear out old search terms or add a new search term. The steps below will take you thru each option.
Search terms can be found in Magento > Catalog > Search Terms.
The listing you see shows the following information:
- Search Query: This is the term your shopper searched for on the site.
- Results: This is the number of products that were returned in the results.
- Number of Uses: This number represents how many times the search term was used.
- Synonym For: This field can be used to list a similar search term that should return the same results as the original.
- Redirect: This field shows the link you may have assigned to the search term.
- Display in Suggested Terms: This controls whether or not the terms should show in the search field when a shopper enters their search term.
To control the results a shopper is taken to via their search term, follow these steps:
- Log into Magento > Catalog > Search Terms.
- Find the term you want to manage in the listing.
- Click "Edit" in the far right column. You'll be taken to a new screen.
- Enter the results URL you want shoppers to be taken to in the "Redirect URL" field.
- You can change the "Display in Suggested Terms" field to "No" if you'd like the terms your shoppers enter to not display when they enter a term.
- When set to "Yes", the search field on the site will look like:
Follow these steps to clear out the search terms you want removed.
- Check the box beside the terms you'd like removed.
- Look for the "Actions" box on the upper right side of the screen.
- Select "Delete" from the dropdown and hit "Submit".
You can also add a Search Term that will populate in the listing under the search box for your shoppers. This is a great marketing option for popular products! Simply click on the "Add New Search Term" and complete the fields.
- Consider using the "Synonym For" field for mis-spellings of the product name.
- Also consider configuring a Redirect URL to control the results a shopper gets.